Skip to content

Mold on my AC vents causing illness of my house guests

I am always cleaning my house.

I recently noticed that the air vents in my guest bathroom were very dirty.

Recently, we had some guests from out of town to stay with us. Midway through their visit, they both came down with a nasty cold. We figured the cold was probably due to lack of sleep and other factors that were travel related. They had to travel 9 hours to get here, so the jet lag and the weather difference would be enough to attribute to an illness. It was not until after they left that I noticed that there was mold growing on the inside of the air conditioner vents in the bedroom and bathroom where they stayed in our home. I immediately took the air conditioner vents off of the ceiling and threw them away. I found replacement vents online and purchased them. I wanted to make sure all of the mold was gone and that no more illnesses would occur as a result of this mold. I looked online and learned that the only way to get rid of mold completely is to use hydrogen peroxide and then bleach it away. I got a bottle of peroxide and climbed a ladder up into the air ducts. They were so dirty that I even needed to bring a steamer and a roll of paper towels to help get the job done. Thankfully, everything was resolved and the mold has not returned in the air vents.

Heater for sale